[OWW-SC] POWW!

Austin Che austin at csail.mit.edu
Fri Jan 4 12:52:31 EST 2008

> read and study something in detail, mainly because viewing PDF's on screen
> sucks, viewing wiki pages is somewhat better and the PLOS on-line format is
> good, but I think we're missing the main point.

    I actually think PDFs online are easier to read than wikis.

> We need a way to replicate the things that we like about reading things on
> paper, in a digital way so that people wanting to study the content, want to
> read it on-line instead of printing it.   I have some ideas for tracking the

    This a good idea but I think is quite separate from the idea of a
    POWW journal. We don't need a journal to do any of these things.

> Perhaps the main article could be a traditional wiki page, but tagged so
> that the content could be scrapped into the different forms?

    plos has a xml format for their content. If we just wanted to work
    on the easy online reading of content, we could begin by creating
    a front-end for plos content and displaying their articles in a
    friendly way.

    I think a POWW journal has more possibilities in actually changing
    the way the publishing process works rather than just the final
    form of the content.

    Some ideas:
    - All peer reviews are public, on the wiki, and reviewers get
    credit
    - A better credit, authorship system at least for who wrote an
    article on the wiki. If I see an interesting fact/sentence in an
    article, I should be able to easily figure out who wrote that and
    should contact to get more info.
    - Continually evolving articles
    - Article comments/discussions being tracked with an article
    - Of course, openness in everything

--
Austin Che           <austin at csail.mit.edu>          (617)253-5899