[OWW-SC] page DOIs

Ilya Sytchev ilyas at MIT.EDU
Tue Sep 18 18:04:42 EDT 2007

The following may be useful to clarify the purpose of DOI.  The DOI
system was established to provide persistent identifiers for digital
content because URLs were "never meant to be an identifier but only to
designate the location of objects"
(http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/04-02/davidson.html). In other words,
DOIs were designed to be generic enough so that they could be used on
top of any system, including but not limited to DNS/Internet.  The DOI
system provides a level of indirection between the identifier and the
object it identifies.  This is very useful for keeping URLs current -
when location of an object changes, you just need to update the URL
associated with the object's DOI.

Besides resolution services, the DOI proxies/resolvers (which are
operated by the Registration Agencies and are currently web-based) also
maintain some structured metadata (like author, date, title, etc) for
every object.  This is useful for more efficient searching, for example.

To obtain the real DOIs for OWW content, we'd need to register each DOI
with a DOI Registration Agency.  This apparently requires an yearly fee
(just like the Internet domain registration fee) and possibly, a
one-time fee for the DOI prefix (http://www.medra.org/en/terms.htm,
http://www.crossref.org/02publishers/20pub_fees.html).

There's more information about DOI system available here:
http://openwetware.org/wiki/Identifiers#DOI
Also, a pretty good article here:
http://www.contentdirections.com/materials/PRQ-CDIPracticalGuide.htm