[OWW-SC] 'Publishing' on Pre-print services like arXiv.org

Julius B. Lucks julius at younglucks.com
Wed Nov 28 10:55:12 EST 2007

Hi SC,

Following up on last month's meeting, I would like to gather your
ideas on how the OWW community might like to use a pre-print service
such as arXiv.org or Nature Proceedings to 'publish' content
originally created on OWW.

My first impression was that these pre-print services could be used
as a stepping-stone towards more traditional publication - i.e. an
article would be written with the OWW wiki, and when sufficiently
polished, sent off to arXiv as an official pre-print.  This would
provide a citeable uri for that version of the document, and would be
used as the basis to notify the community of the polished work, as
well as submit to a traditional peer-reviewed journal (if the authors
desire).

In discussing this at the last SC meeting, Barry mentioned a very
interesting possibility of posting non-article content such as lab
protocols or reagent lists up on a pre-print archive.  I would like
to brainstorm with you possible uses of pre-print archives.  In
particular:

* Would you consider using a pre-print archive as a way to turn a
wiki document into a journal article (wiki -> pre-print -> paper)?
** If so, are you ready to try this out, or do you know of anyone
that is ready?  I would like to walk whoever is ready through the
process with them and see how it goes.  I can also facilitate
submission to arXiv.org's quantitative biology section if that is
necessary.

* What other types of documents do you imagine posting on a pre-print
archive?  (protocols, reagent lists, etc.)
** For each type of document, it would be great to know why the wiki
page is insufficient for your purposes.  For example, Barry mentioned
that reviewers were hesitant to honor a wiki link as a citeable
document.

* What is the best way to ask the OWW community outside the SC these
questions?

I would appreciate ALL of your comments.  I think arXiv.org is
already prepared to handle traditional journal-article-like
submissions, but might be more hesitant for other types of
submissions.  I would like to get a list of ideas to before I discuss
this with them.

Thanks for your help,

Cheers,

Julius