[OWW-SC] EditTools helper enabled (Greek characters, etc).

Julius B. Lucks julius at younglucks.com
Tue Nov 13 10:56:47 EST 2007

>> I've incuded a few shortcuts for frequently requested symbols as
>> well:
>>
>> degc: °C
>> degf: °F
>> mu: μ
>> lambda:λ
>>
>> These symbols may be awkward to use. The benefit is in not having to
>> use the panel at the base of the page to enter symbols.
>
>     I don't like this approach of having random text to mean something
>     else just to save typing. If the extension is ever uninstalled or
>     for anyone who gets a data dump, they'll have a bunch of macros
>     without knowing what those macros should be expanded to. It's the
>     same with interwiki links. We have a perfectly good unique way of
>     referring to pages on the web and replace it with a site-specific
>     way of naming. Adding a layer of indirection means that to really
>     get all the content on a page, not only do you need the text of
>     the page, you need the interwiki link table. With these
>     'shortcuts', not only will you need the page text, you need the
>     extensions installed on the site.

I agree with Austin here.  I worked on a small project for OLPC to
grab slices of wikipedia content once, and it was painful to have to
do the translation of special syntax, especially templates.  The
current system also makes it a lot harder to implement client-side
'preview'  functionality as part of an off-line editor useful for lab
notebooks, etc.

Julius