[OWW-SC] EditTools helper enabled (Greek characters, etc).

Austin Che austin at csail.mit.edu
Tue Nov 13 10:45:11 EST 2007

> I've incuded a few shortcuts for frequently requested symbols as well:
>
> degc: °C
> degf: °F
> mu: μ
> lambda:λ
>
> These symbols may be awkward to use. The benefit is in not having to
> use the panel at the base of the page to enter symbols.

    I don't like this approach of having random text to mean something
    else just to save typing. If the extension is ever uninstalled or
    for anyone who gets a data dump, they'll have a bunch of macros
    without knowing what those macros should be expanded to. It's the
    same with interwiki links. We have a perfectly good unique way of
    referring to pages on the web and replace it with a site-specific
    way of naming. Adding a layer of indirection means that to really
    get all the content on a page, not only do you need the text of
    the page, you need the interwiki link table. With these
    'shortcuts', not only will you need the page text, you need the
    extensions installed on the site.

    I would prefer that as much of the fancy stuff be client-side or
    that the translation be saved directly to the page. I also don't
    like the panels at the bottom of the page because they seem to far
    away from the edit box. Alternatives include putting it on the
    right or left of the text box or perhaps the best would be to pop
    it up over the text box when some shortcut key/button is
    pressed. Or maybe a right click should bring up a list of items.

--
Austin Che           <austin at csail.mit.edu>          (617)253-5899