[OWW-SC] EditTools helper enabled (Greek characters, etc).

Steven J. Koch sjkoch at unm.edu
Tue Nov 13 00:19:53 EST 2007

I remember that being confusing to me when I signed up on OWW earlier this
year.  I was a newbie to wikis at the time, but I think OWW will be dealing
with newbies for a long time, so it is important to consider.  A downside of
changing the name is that newbies may have edited Wikipedia first (which I
think also has the confusing talk/discussion naming).  The fact that OWW was
"the same" as Wikipedia was a big plus at the beginning (and also now).

A related confusion is that on OWW it's often not clear whether to put edits
on the talk or the main article page.  In Wikipedia, it's usually more clear
given that most of the pages are encyclopedia articles.  Whereas on OWW it
seems like the main point of an article is often a discussion in the first
place (such as brainstorming ideas).  Or, in the case of grading, I don't
like to use the Talk: page, because I have a bunch of little comments, so I
use a little hack template that's like adding comment bubbles in a PDF or
Word.  (See this for an example:
http://openwetware.org/wiki/Physics307L:People/Knockel/formal).  I think in
my entire Physics307L class, we haven't used the Talk: page ever.

OK, not sure if I have a productive suggestion buried in those comments, but
I do agree with TK's post and think it may be a real barrier to edits for
new people.

--S