[OWW-SC] whats new section

Jennifer Braff jcbraff at MIT.EDU
Fri May 18 20:15:38 EDT 2007

	I just wanted to note that we've had a few "What's New" announcements
in the past that have linked to outside content, for example 2006 iGEM
and 6/06 OWW mention in Nature.  These fall into the category of
external links that relate to OWW (iGEM announcement notes that iGEM
teams have OWW notebooks).
	There is also currently the BU Synthetic Biology announcement, which
is not specifically OWW news but is probably fine as it links to an OWW
page on the conference.
	The q-bio conference is in a different category as it neither links to
an OWW page about the conference, nor is it directly related to OWW.  I
think if we allow this type of link from the main page, we risk the OWW
main page becoming just another science news page.  Since the main page
is an important public face of OWW, perhaps we should continue a
general policy of linking to OWW content, with exceptions for external
content that is deemed especially relevant to OWW or open science.

Have a good weekend-
Jen