[OWW-SC] flexible databases

Austin Che austin at csail.mit.edu
Sat Jan 27 15:06:29 EST 2007

    I've been looking at using Exhibit on the wiki:
    http://simile.mit.edu/wiki/Exhibit

    It allows for completely client side databases with javascript.

    I've been talking with the author to improve the support for it on
    the wiki. There are still some bugs but I've gotten it to work
    with firefox at least in some configuration.

    As one test, I've moved some of the E. coli genotypes here:
    http://openwetware.org/index.php?title=E._coli_genotypes/Exhibit

    You can edit the data as javascript in the file. There are lots of
    display options. Right now it just uses the default display
    options.

    Some key things that I think are interesting and have tested:
    - The data can be read from a Google spreadsheet instead of from
    the wiki.
    - Support for google maps (although this does not quite yet work
    on the wiki)
    - Timeline support. This supposedly already works on the wiki
    http://ontoworld.org/wiki/Upcoming_events

--
Austin Che           <austin at csail.mit.edu>          (617)253-5899