[OWW-SC] Alternative Welcome System and Home Pages

Julius Lucks lucks at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Apr 23 11:17:25 EDT 2007

Hi Barry,

I am starting to really see the point of not having 2 pages
associated with a user though - makes a lot of sense, especially
tying your biography to your work.

I also think there are two ways to go about finding content on a
site: search and browsing.  Some people seem to prefer one or the
other, so I think we should try our best to support both.

Having some 'recommended' heirarchy of pages will go a long way to
structuring the content so that it is browse-able.  I think that 80%
of people probably would not deviate from it.  However, we should
emphasize over and over that anyone can edit anything, and that this
is only a recommended system, not one that they have to follow.  I
think if we do a good job of this, then people will be 'encouraged'
to edit and contribute to pages.  It is all about what we write in
the auto-generated pages to get a clear message out to new users.

It may be hard to keep the wiki browse-able, and I don't think we
should force it, rather just recommend a naming scheme.  I think this
really helps new users who might be too overwhelmed by the
flexibility of being able to create a new page with a new name almost
anywhere.  I for one have felt this and have not put up content
because I couldn't figure out where best to put it.  Having a place
where you can start and then move later if you want is nicer I think.

I should mention that a large part of this auto-generated content is
to educate new users on what oww can do - both in terms of wiki
technology and content structure (with a plug that you can actually
do anything with content).  Having a nice get-up-to-speed-quick
system is also a great tool to attract new users - after all, we have
to encourage them to join so that they can generate content, since
they can already read anything without an account.

Cheers,

Julius

http://openwetware.org/wiki/User:Lucks