[OWW-SC] Alternative Welcome System and Home Pages

Julius Lucks lucks at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Apr 23 09:53:12 EDT 2007

Hey Jason,

Well I guess it is a little subjective, but I would argue for a
separate 'Homepage' and User page for the following reasons:

* The User page can be used for more personal info like other
interests/hobbies, etc - some info on getting to know the oww member
behind the science.
* The Homepage can be used to focus on the science.
* The Homepage serves as a portal for individual project pages:  the
naming convention for the project pages would be [[Homepage/
project_page]] - i.e.,
the Homepage name would be the base for all the project pages.
Having a separate Homepage in the main wiki namespace I think is more
useful than having them all inside the User: namespace since the main
name space is where we are having scientific content at the moment.
(I guess we could make a namespace for all of these Homepage and
project pages.)  Also, having the project page fall under a user's
Homepage lends some kind of 'ownership' or at least 'foundership' to
the project content, even though anyone can contribute at any time.
This can be put to good use in advertising to potential new users as
a way for them to keep some of the attribution for their work, since
I imagine many new users are afraid of losing attribution.  Another
way to put it is this structure is closer to normal authorship
identification of work, and will be more familiar and thus less of a
jump for new users to get used to.  (Note that of course one could
always look into the history logs to see who created a page, but
these logs are a complication I don't want to have to introduce to a
new potential user.)
* If new users can follow the [[Homepage/project_page]]  convention,
then they automatically start to learn good page naming habits, which
is non-trivial given that you can name pages almost anything.
* This naming convention also promotes self-organization of a lot of
scientific content on OWW which is something I think we need to work
on.  Just browsing through the site and only navigating through
clicking on links (and not typing any URLs), it is non-trivial to get
from the front page of oww to some scientific content - at least for
me, and I imagine for a new user.  Having all this info in one place
(with this naming convention) allows users to go to where they are
familiar with the structure to look for new content - given that they
are used to the structure from their own [[Homepage/project_page]]
pages.  Having all the info in this structure makes it really easy
for us to scrape content and create some navigation pages like: a
page that lists all the user Home pages, a page that lists all the
projects that are ongoing, etc.
* This system is a little bit like the lab Homepage system, but on a
user level.  Labs can then just link their user Homepages to start to
form the lab pages, and people are familiar with lab Homepages which
will lessen the learning curve.

Julius

http://openwetware.org/wiki/User:Lucks