[OWW-SC] Private wikis?

Reshma Shetty rshetty at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 12 17:43:23 EDT 2007

OpenWetWare's mission is to promoter the *open* sharing of information in
biological science and engineering.  So the only way to justify expending
any resources on private wiki's is if it encourages folks to digitize
information as they go and this information gets eventually made public.

Unfortunately, there are a few problems with the private wiki test

1) we won't know if people will actually make pages public after some time
for easily 1-3 years.   (The timescale for people to do experiments and
eventually publish them.)
2) we haven't made it trivial for people to "publish" a page to OpenWetWare
from a private wiki.  Perhaps this could be addressed by the technology
developer that we are trying to hire.
3) the experiment is uncontrolled.  Potentially digitizing information early
on privately doesn't make the information any more likely to go public
later.  But how do we know?
4) Making private wiki's available could in fact make things worse because
given the option of making things private or public, folks might be more
likely to make things private given an easy way of doing so.  Again, there
is no way to "control" for this.

I'd actually rather not have a general policy for giving out private wiki's
because

1) we shouldn't make any guarantees about the private wiki's.  It is a trial
right now which means it could go away at some point.
2) we don't want private wiki's to take off.  Shouldn't we keep the number
of private wiki's as low as possible?

Of course, the caveats to the above are that it may be strategically useful
to have more people become "dependent" on OpenWetWare (in terms of getting
support in the future) and that we could explore charging for private wiki's
to fund the public site.

Just some thoughts ... I'm open to discussion.

-Reshma