[OWW-SC] how to reference properly on OWW

Martin Jambon martin_jambon at emailuser.net
Thu Sep 21 01:13:34 EDT 2006

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, John Cumbers wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm trying to reference properly, like they do on
> wikipedia<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citing_sources/example_style>,
> but I'm having trouble, is there something different about our distribution
> that does not allow it?  If you can make my example work here:
> http://openwetware.org/wiki/Cumbers:tests  or point me to somewhere on OWW
> that I can copy the code, it would be much appreciated,

AFAIK they use the "Cite" extension. Nobody seems to be very motivated to
merge it with the "Biblio" extension. I modified your test page so that
you and others see the difference at the source level.
So far I have been the official developer of the Biblio extension, but
people keep reporting bugs and sending me patches, and I don't really
have time to take care of it like I should. If anyone wants to take over
its maintenance and include it in an official OWW package like it was
suggested at some point, that would be really great :-)

The main problem is my lack of interest in PHP coupled to the fact that
every 4 months or so a new incompatible version of MediaWiki is released.
That shouldn't be a problem though for anyone who is really familiar with
MediaWiki/PHP hacking.

Refs: Cite extension: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cite/Cite.php
       Biblio extension: http://wikiomics.org/wiki/Biblio

Martin