[OWW-SC] copyright and OpenWetWare

Reshma Shetty rshetty at MIT.EDU
Fri Oct 27 12:02:48 EDT 2006

I thought that this article (if true) has interesting implications for
potential copyright violations on OpenWetWare.

http://www.slate.com/id/2152264/

The basic gist of the article is that hosting content that violates
copyright is not a big problem as long as you take down the content
expeditiously once notified.  This particularly applies to sites that
host user-generated content.

Note that http://openwetware.org/wiki/OpenWetWare:Copyrights provides
a mechanism for people to notify us about content on the site that
violates copyright.

Our situation is slightly more complicated since all material on OWW
is licensed under both CC-SA and GFDL.

Personally, I think we should discuss the issue of whether to permit
people to choose alternate licenses for uploaded files.  Mediawiki has
the functionality to permit you to do this.  I am undecided however.

-Reshma