[OWW-SC] http://openwetware.org/wiki/Reddit

John Cumbers johncumbers at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 21:19:02 EST 2006

So any thoughts on the ads, or are we okay to go ahead and try it out?  If
we keep it embedded in the wiki and link from the front page, then I think
we would maintain control (e.g if we wanted to change the provider then we
could just change what is embedded there).
any objections?
cheers,
John

On 11/13/06, Julius Lucks <lucks at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

> I will check on the OpenID support.  I am with John in thinking we should
> see how the OWW community decides to use it.  That said, some good example
> usage and maybe a highlight blurb about suggested usage will go a long way
> in shaping how the community views the service.
> Cheers,
>
> Julius

> http://openwetware.org/wiki/User:Lucks
>

> On Nov 13, 2006, at 9:35 AM, Austin Che wrote:
>

> how it goes.  You have to log into reddit as a separate account at the
> moment, if this works, then we could look at combining the log-ins.
>

>     Can you check if they support/plan to support/can support OpenID?
>     If they do, then we can have single login as OWW now supports
>     OpenID via the URL of your user page
>     e.g. http://openwetware.org/wiki/User:NAME
>
> A couple of issues:
> 1. If you comment then you see ads.  We could ask for this to be removed,
> but not sure how well it would go down.  We should think about a
> sustainable
> model for the future if we decide to go with this.
> 2. Do we want to become a "slashdot  for synthetic biology"?  Or should we
> just limit the postings to pages on OWW?  I think we should see how it
> evolves rather than limit content right away.
>

>     There's already a slashdot for synthetic biology at taqdot.org
>
> 3. should we put it on the front page as a link, or as the headlines?
>

>     Headlines.
>
> 4.  We could not have it embedded into OWW  e.g:  http://oww.reddit.com/
>

>     I'd rather have it embedded.
>
> --
> Austin Che           <austin at csail.mit.edu>          (617)253-5899

John Cumbers,  Graduate Student in Computational Biology
Brown University, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Box G-W
80 Waterman Street, Providence, Rhode Island, 02912, USA
Tel USA: +1 401 523 8190,  Fax: +1 401 863-2166
UK to USA: 0207 617 7824