[OWW-SC] OpenWetWare and Nature Publishing Group

John Cumbers johncumbers at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 12:15:16 EDT 2006

Hi all,
Yes I agree, the bright lights of NPG are tempting, but dazzling at the same
time.   Any ideas where to go for a retreat?  I know a great place in Rhode
Island,<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=RI+02832&ie=UTF8&t=h&om=1&ll=41.466785,-71.726689&spn=0.022672,0.054245>but
it is a little far from Boston (90 miles down the I95).  We could host
it at Brown, but it is not much of a retreat.  Ideas nearer to Boston?  Will
the date be this Thursday the 13th? WE might need to provide teleconf.
facilites.   I set up a page for the
retreat,<http://openwetware.org/wiki/OpenWetWare_steering_committee/SC_retreat>
cheers,
John

On 7/7/06, natalie kuldell <nkuldell at mit.edu> wrote:

> Sri and SC-
> I'd like to second Drew's sentiment and congratulate you all on the
> soon-to-be-submitted NSF proposal. Jason, Sri, and Reshma in
> particular put in a heroic effort to shepherd the grant submission
> and I hope the outcome is favorable.
>
> The NPG offer deserves some thoughtful consideration, beginning at
> the next SC meeting. I would like to see the details of the offer
> considered in the context of  a larger discussion describing OWW's
> future (both the vision and its execution). This larger topic has
> been raised repeatedly and there seems to be no consensus. I wonder
> if it would be worth each SC member individually investing some
> "pre-meeting" time reflecting on what he/she would like OWW to look
> like/run like 1 year and 5 years from now and come to the next SC
> meeting ready to articulate priorities.
>
> If the agenda for the next SC meeting is too full to accommodate such
> a discussion then I would favor the 1/2 day splurge that Drew
> described.
> Thanks,
> Natalie
>

> >Hello all,
> >
> >First, thank you to everyone that helped with drafting the grant and
> >writing letters of support.  The proposal is essentially in final
> >form and it took much effort by many of us.  Having the document
> >will have benefits beyond this grant, and will help with any new
> >venture or collaboration in the future.  The grant will be submitted
> >by the OSP (Office of Sponsered Projects) on Monday, and at that
> >point I will send out a copy of the grant to everyone.
> >
> >Second, we were approached recently by Peter Collins and Greg
> >Urquhart of Nature Publishing Group about strengthening ties between
> >our two groups.  For the past few years NPG has been exploring how
> >best to engage  communities of scientists more directly, as well as
> >provide new communication tools for them (or so they say).  They are
> >interested in forming relationships at many levels depending on our
> >interest: from just general support and help with funding all the
> >way to complete managerial take over of the site.
> >
> >Obviously such an offer, while flattering makes us ask questions
> >about the intentions of such a venture and the trustability of
> >relinquishing control to or even establishing close ties with an old
> >and venerated for-profit publishing group.  After giving it some
> >thought, a few of us thought we would put together a reasonable set
> >of offer  and then run it by the committee for
> >thoughts/reactions/suggestions/or better proposals that would seem
> >to work. So here goes:
> >
> >In general, we are asking for collaboration at first, and would
> >consider tighter relationships with NPG in the future depending on
> >the success of these initial projects.
> >
> >1.  What we are asking for: NPG and OpenWetWare would form a
> >relationship which could include any or all of the following things:
> [...]

John Cumbers,  Graduate Student in Computational Biology
Brown University, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Box G-W
80 Waterman Street, Providence, Rhode Island, 02912, USA
USA: +1 401 523 8190,  UK to USA: 0207 617 7824