[mitreid-connect] mitreid connect student project

Justin Richer jricher at mit.edu
Mon May 29 08:41:18 EDT 2017

It's not quite as simple as a redirect. You need to have an OpenID
Connect *client* on your other machine. OpenID Connect (OIDC) is a
protocol, and there are a few steps that you need to do to make it work.
In a nutshell:

  * Starting at your other machine, redirect over to the OIDC server.
  * User logs into the OIDC server
  * User is redirected back to your machine with an authorization code
  * Your machine sends the authorization code back to the OIDC server
    (using a direct HTTP call, no redirects)
  * OIDC server sends you a bunch of tokens, which you validate

And now you're logged in. I've elided a few of the details but if you
want, you can download chapter 13 of my book (for free) here:

https://www.manning.com/books/oauth-2-in-action

It goes into much greater detail. I of course recommend the rest of the
book too, but I'm biased. :)

Good news is that just about any platform and language has a capable
OIDC client written for it these days. There's a pretty popular one
called mod_auth_openidc that you can use to set up Apache-protected
websites, and you might want to look into that. The MITreid project has
a client library as well, designed for applications written in Java
using Spring Security.

  -- Justin