[mitreid-connect] Structured Scopes?

Justin Richer jricher at mit.edu
Thu Aug 27 06:43:41 EDT 2015

Structured scopes aren't used in OIDC, but are a feature that was added
to support the BlueButton+ REST specification:

http://bluebuttontoolkit.healthit.gov/blue-button-plus-pull/#scopes

The idea was that you could provide an additional parameter, like a
record identifier, in addition to the core scope. In theory this would
allow clients to specify more exactly what they wanted access to. In
practice, it never caught on and it's a bit of a vestigial feature in
MITREid Connect that we're probably going to remove in a future release
(or at least turn into an add-on).

For your use case, having two separate scopes makes more sense. Your
resources can decide if the "write" scope also allows "read" without
doing anything special.

  -- Justin