[Mitai-announce] 27 Oct 2004 - Meeting Minutes

Emily C Havens emily13 at MIT.EDU
Tue Nov 2 16:45:09 EST 2004

Hello everyone,

We had our fortnightly meeting last Wednesday.  Sorry for getting these minutes
out so late.  I've been busy...

27 Oct 2004 Meeting Minutes:

Members present: Tarun Agarwal, Jenny Chen, Dugan Hayes, Matt Brooks, Bryan
Newbold, and myself

I.   Wrote Urgent Action letters for Francisco Ramirez Cuellar and Ludivia
     Giraldo, two Trade Union workers in Colombia.  I can't find this Urgent
     Action online (it was sent to me via e-mail), but e-mail me if you would
     like the specifics of the case... or you can always go online to
     http://www.amnestyusa.org/exe.do?action=ua.actions to take action on the
     current urgent action.

II.  16th Annual Write-A-Thon will be 03 Dec at Old South Church, Copley
     Square from 4 pm-7 pm.  Letters will include Sudan, SVAW Campaign,
     Yury Bandazhevsky, 20th anniversary of pesticide plant leak in Bhopal.
     Help is needed for the following:

     -Getting donations from local businesses for the event (contact me if
      you can help with this)

     -Setting up day of the event (starting at 3.30 pm).  Dugan signed up.

     -Breakdown help day of the event (6.45-7.15 pm).  Dugan, Matt, Bryan,
      and myself offered to help.

     -Individuals to work at the different tables

     **There are other tasks involved, but these are the major areas that need
      help.  If you can't do anything to help organize the event, please try
      to stop by sometime that evening to partake in the letter writing.

III. NE Regional Conference!!  Pre-registration deadline has passed, but you
     can still register (and pay the full registration price) by visiting
     http://www.amnestyusa.org/events/northeastern/regionalconference.html
     Download the conference brochure (right-hand column) and mail your
     registration to the NE Regional Office.

     **Everyone should go so that you can attend the workshop that I am
     organizing on business and human rights!  If you can't attend the
     conference, but are interested in being a part of the new Corporate
     Action Network (http://www.amnestyusa.org/business/index.do) let me know
     as I am the coordinator for this region.

IV.  At our next meeting (10 Nov) we will be watching a short video on the
     Stop Violence Against Women (SVAW) campaign which will inspire all of
     us :-) to come up with events for the 16 Days to End Violence Against
     Women (25 Nov-10 Dec).  Start thinking of ideas now!

That's all.  Hope to see you at our next meeting.

Your local Amnesty Secretary (and local CAN Coordinator),
MC Havens