[Mitai-announce] Apply Now: Funded Summer Opportunity in Dominican Republic!

Elizabeth Bast ebast at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 1 23:58:10 EST 2004

INTERNATIONAL SUMMER OPPORTUNITY FOR MIT STUDENTS!
Deadline for applications is April 5!

WHAT:  Youth and Environmental Justice Project

You'd be working to build the capacity of a youth environmental justice
program and working to build an environmental justice curriculum for
the school.

WHERE: La Puya, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

La Puya is a vibrant, very low income community in Santo Domingo,
Dominican Republic.

WHO: You! Fluent or very proficient Spanish speakers needed, and people
with youth development or international development interests preferred.

WHEN: 5 or 10 weeks this summer

HOW:  Send an application to the Public Service Center by Monday, April
5th.  Project proposal and recommendation letter needed.  Those who
apply have an excellent chance of getting funded (approximately $4K for
10 weeks and $2.2K for 5 weeks).

Check out the application website at
http://web.mit.edu/mitpsc/fellowships/summer/focus/current.shtml . The
project is listed under Centro Educativo Profesor Juan Bosch de la Puya
(the local school).  More info on the applications at
http://web.mit.edu/mitpsc/fellowships/summer .

You can also look at the website of the De Barrio a Playa project that
James Alexander, Jean Walsh and I worked on last summer at
http://web.mit.edu/ideas/www/dbp/dbp.html with the same group of kids
in the same community.

Please contact James or me with any questions about the application.
This is a great opportunity to manage a real international development
and community development project in a beautiful Caribbean country!

Buena Suerte!

Elizabeth Bast (ebast at mit.edu) 415-377-2212
James Alexander (jalex at mit.edu) 617-629-5880