[Mitai-announce] 9/11: The Other September 11 (photographs) (opening 5:30 pm)

hemisphere-announce@MIT.EDU hemisphere-announce at MIT.EDU
Tue Sep 9 09:34:19 EDT 2003

The MIT Western Hemisphere Project presents ...

    The Other September 11:
    An Exhibit to Mark the 30th Anniversary of
    The US-Supported Coup Against Democracy in Chile

    Thursday, September 11, at 5:30 pm
    MIT Wiesner Student Art Gallery

    Open to all; admission is free; but please arrive early

DETAILS

On September 11, 1973, the elected government of Chile was toppled
by right-wing elements of the Chilean military (who had the support
of the US government).  Decades of terror(ism) followed; thousands
of Chileans and others were tortured and killed before democracy
was restored.  Our exhibit of photographs spans the last 30 years
and helps us remember these events and understand their lasting
impact. The exhibit opens with a few words, a bit of poetry, and
a reception.  It runs through October 18.

The exhibit is co-sponsored with us by the MIT Large Event Fund;
the Council for the Arts; and the Office of the Associate Provost
for the Arts.  The opening on Thursday is the first in a sequence
of events we are organizing to remember the coup (for more
information please see http://web.mit.edu/hemisphere/events/).

CONTACT & DIRECTIONS

E-mail: mailto:hemisphere-admin at mit.edu
Web: http://web.mit.edu/hemisphere/