[Mitai-announce] 10/11 (Sat.) 6 pm: Movie: "Missing"

hemisphere-announce@MIT.EDU hemisphere-announce at MIT.EDU
Fri Oct 10 20:54:40 EDT 2003

PLEASE CIRCULATE THIS ANNOUNCEMENT

To mark the 30th anniversary of "The Other September 11"
-- the US-supported military coup in Chile in 1973 --
the MIT Western Hemisphere Project is screening:

    "Missing" (1982)

    6 pm, Saturday, October 11
    MIT Room 6-120

DETAILS:

"Missing," by director Constantin Costa-Gavras and based
on Thomas Hauser's 1978 non-fiction book, is a story of US
support for fascism in Chile.  On September 11, 1973, right-
wing Chilean generals overthrow the elected government and
begin a reign of terror that kills thousands.  Among the
early victims is Charles Horman, a young American journalist
living & working in Chile.  When Charles vanishes, his wife
& father appeal to the US Embassy & the State Department for
help in locating him -- but gradually it dawns on them that
their government has no intention of helping them at all.

Recently declassified CIA files say that "US intelligence
may have played an unfortunate part in Horman's death."
As current US Secretary of State Colin Powell now puts it,
US support for the dictatorship is "not a part of American
history that we are proud of."

OTHER ACTIVITIES: Next Saturday (October 18) we are
sponsoring a series of talks; speakers include Chappell
Lawson (MIT Political Science); Elizabeth Garrels (MIT
Latin American Studies); Sergio Reyes (an activist and
former political prisoner in Chile); and Noam Chomsky
(an activist and Institute Professor at MIT); we will
also deliver a message on behalf of Chilean author Isabel
Allende (niece of the assassinated president).  Between
now and October 18 we also have a continuing exhibit of
photographs at the MIT Student Center (2nd floor).

These activities are all organized by the MIT Western
Hemisphere Project and co-sponsored by the MIT Large Event
Fund.  All events are open to everyone; admission is free;
please arrive early.

For more information see http://web.mit.edu/hemisphere/events/.

CONTACT & DIRECTIONS

E-mail: mailto:hemisphere-admin at mit.edu