[miso-users] Definition of Bayes Factor

Yarden Katz yarden at MIT.EDU
Mon Jan 21 09:22:18 EST 2013

Hi,

First, you're not a member of the mailing list miso-users, so I just noticed that your message was stuck in the queue for approval -- please subscribe if you'd like to receive messages from the list.

The phrase "differential expression" can be applied to a gene or an exon.  In the context of an exon, "differential expression" just means change in Psi value, and this is what the Bayes factor measures.

In your example, the expression level of Exon 2 is relative to Exon 1 and Exon 3 (the flanking exons).  In that case, even if the gene that the exons reside in goes up or down in expression, the Psi value for Exon 2 should not should unless there's a change in splicing, since Exon 2's Psi value is relative to Exon 1 and Exon 3.

In summary, the Bayes factor measures the change in Psi, and Psi values can change even when there's no change in overall gene expression, or remain constant when there is an overall change in gene expression.

  --Yarden