[miso-users] 0 reads align to all events

Yarden Katz yarden at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 15 10:40:13 EST 2013

Hi Konstantinos,

Thanks for this note -- it's true that the BAM file must be sorted and indexed.  I have never used Galaxy so I'm not sure if that's the issue.

Another potential cause: samtools/pysam which is used by MISO to access the BAM is very particular about the index and its BAM being associated in the same way in the directory and having identical lower case extensions.  If you have:

mydir/mybam.bam
mydir/mybam.BAM.BAI

then I don't believe it will associate "mybam.BAM.BAI" with "mybam.bam" -- it needs to be "mybam.bam.bai".  Note lower case difference.  I'll add checks for this.

The ultimate way to check if MISO can access your reads is to take an event (e.g. coordinates from SE) that you know should have reads in it, and try:

samtools view mybam.bai chr:start-end

where chr:start-end are the coordinates of the event.  If you cannot access the reads this way, then MISO won't be able to find them either.

Best, --Yarden