[Macpartners] Trouble rebuilding Mailboxes

Helen Rose hrose at MIT.EDU
Tue Aug 15 08:41:07 EDT 2006

I'm doing a massive conversion of users from Windows+Outlook to Mac
+Mail (aside: have had various levels of success with tools such as
O2M and aid4mail). For the (guinea pig) user, I've managed to get all
of her mail to the Mac. However, I cannot convince Apple Mail to
rebuild the mailboxes. When I select the mailbox and choose Rebuild
from the Mailbox menu, Apple Mail dutifully goes out and does
SOMETHING, but returns with a title bar of "(0 messages, 5
unread)" (or however many messages it thinks). On other mailboxes, I
select them in the mailbox list, go to the Mailbox menu and "Rebuild"
is greyed out.

The problem persists whether the mailboxes are IMAP or local. When I
go into ~/Library/Mail I do see the messages in their respective
hierarchy folders.

The only thing that's different about this particular user that might
be of concern is that her home directory is FileVault'ed. However, I
cannot see how that would cause this sort of behaviour.

Has anyone seen this? Is there any way to force a rebuild of these
mailboxes? I did try the "rebuild mailboxes" Applescript that came
with Eudora Mailbox Cleaner, but that didn't do the trick.

Oh: MacOS X 10.4.7, Apple Mail 2.1. This user is on a MacBookPro.

Thanks,

--Helen