[Macpartners] How safe/secure is 'Personal File Sharing' on Mac OS X?

vanni vanni at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 25 20:29:46 EST 2004

If you can do things from the command like (the SHELL),
my suggestion is that (from HOME) you use "rsync".
(via SSH and perhaps tunneling (if needed))

Other side benefits of "rsync" are:
      It's OS/filesystem independent (in most cases)
         (for example you can use Athena as the FileServer/Exchange Point)
      It can handle large trees over slow links.
         (since it sends only the changed filed and also does
           compression on the fly)

If it looks interesting, let me know and I can provide an example.

-vanni