[Macpartners] MIT TechTime - Oracle Sync for Palm 9.0.4 Release Announcement

Jonathan McIndoe Hunt jmhunt at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 24 11:55:37 EST 2004

Date: Wednesday, 24 March 2004
To: itpartners, macpartners, winpartners, sw-release-announce, ed-tech,
techtime-liaisons
From: MIT TechTime PDA Synchronization Release Team
Subject: MIT TechTime - Oracle Sync for Palm 9.0.4 Release Announcement
Cc: is&t, itag at mit.edu

Good afternoon,

Information Services & Technology (IS&T) is pleased to announce the
availability and support for Oracle Calendar Sync for Palm to enable you to
synchronize your MIT TechTime calendar with your Palm based PDA.  The
Oracle Calendar Sync for Palm clients are available for Mac OS X and
Windows 2000 & XP Professional and can operate without the MIT TechTime
desktop client released in December.

TechTime is MIT's implementation of Oracle Calendar, an integrated
campus-wide calendaring system.  With the synchronization clients for Palm,
you can now synchronize your Palm PDA with your TechTime calendar.  For
more information on the TechTime service or to register for a free account,
visit http://web.mit.edu/ist/services/calendaring/techtime.html.

Known Issues
-------------------------------------
- The Oracle address book conduit for Mac OS X does not work.  We have
provided instructions in the documentation below on how to revert the
address book conduit back to synchronizing with Palm Desktop.

- Oracle Calendar Sync 9.0.4 only supports up to Palm OS 5.0 meaning that
brand new Palms, such as the Tungsten E, may not function with the client
we are releasing.  There are other problems with the latest client from
Oracle, which is why we are not releasing it at this time.  If you have a
Palm device running Palm OS 5.2.1 or higher, please contact
techtime-release at mit.edu, and we can work with you, explain the issues and
make the latest version available.

- The Oracle Calendar Sync for Pocket PC was found to be unstable in our
testing, not consistent in its behavior and very dependent on which Pocket
PC model and version was tested.  We are not releasing the Pocket PC client
at this time.

Based on a survey of the TechTime client community and on conversations
with TechTime users, these features were not critical to the majority of
the client community so we are moving forward with the Oracle Calendar Sync
for Palm only.  We will continue to work with Oracle to resolve these issues.

Getting Help
-------------------------------------
The TechTime at MIT web page, including information on Palm synchronization
is at
Windows : http://itinfo.mit.edu/product?vid=617
Mac OS X: http://itinfo.mit.edu/product?vid=616

If you have a question or need assistance, please contact the Computing
Help Desk at computing-help at mit.edu or (617) 253-1101.

How to get Oracle Sync for Palm 9.0.4
--------------------------------------
Installers for Mac OS X and Windows are available through the MIT Software
Page:
http://web.mit.edu/software.

Future Work
A release effort launched two weeks ago to release the secure Outlook
Connector to TechTime.  You can check-in on that release effort by visiting
the produce release notebook at:
http://web.mit.edu/swrt/releases/outlook/.

The SWRT is also working to provide recommendations for other PDA
applications for web browsing and e-mail to integrate with MIT's
infrastructure.  We hope to announce a release effort for these PDA
applications soon.

Thanks,
Jon & the TechTime Release Team

TechTime Release Team