[Macpartners] How to install Mac OS on formatted machine

Kerem B Limon kerem.limon at MIT.EDU
Fri Feb 27 19:59:23 EST 2004

John--

Flashing question mark--there are two kinds. Is it in front of a small Mac
or in front of a small disk/folder? That indicates whether it is able to
find a volume or System folder it can or cannot boot from. It appears it's
not detecting your CD as a bootable volume. It could be that you have a
non-bootable OS CD.

Try holding down the C key (for CD) as you reboot. Watch/listen to the
optical drive to see/hear if it is being accessed. If it is and if after
about a couple of minutes, it doesn't find the System Folder on the CD,
chances are it is indeed not bootable. You'll need one that is. Mac OS X
install CDs would also work.

You can verify that the CD is bootable by trying it on another Mac, maybe
at the office?

It could also be there is a problem with the optical drive, though that's
highly unlikely.

Barring a hardware issue with the drive unit, Panther (10.3) will install
on all G4 models Apple produced, and you should be able to boot from the
first of the OS install CDs, if necessary by holding down 'C'.

Good luck,
Kerem