[Macpartners] Filemaker Pro 5.0v3 timeout help

Rebecca Heiser rheiser at MIT.EDU
Fri Feb 20 15:39:38 EST 2004

Scott,
   On FileMaker Pro server, there is an option "Disconnect Idle
Guests". You can turn this off or you can set the length of time an
idle guest remains signed in, say 12 hours.

   You would have to have FileMaker Pro Server version 5 or 5.5. Make
sure that the latest patch is installed for the server.

   Is the FileMaker Pro server running on an OS 9 or OS X machine?  We
noticed an improvement here when we installed our server on an OS X
machine.

   Is the machine dedicated to FileMaker Pro server or are there other
applications running on it?

You may also want to upgrade your version of FileMaker Pro client
(current version is 6.0). FileMaker 5 and 6 can both access FileMaker
Pro Server 5 and 5.5.
http://web.mit.edu/is/products/vsls/mitfmpro/

-Becky

>I am working some users who are all using FM Pro 5.0v3 on a combination of
>OS 9 and OS 10 machines.  They connect to a database on a machine running
>an old version of FM Pro Server (not sure the version).
>
>The first person to connect (say OS 10 user) to the database gets a fast,
>clean, connection.  When the second person tries to connect (say OS 9
>user), their connection is slow.   If they keep FM Pro running in the
>background and do other tasks, sometimes FM Pro will disconnect them or
>have unwanted latency.  I have confirmed each user is using TCP/IP to
>connect (as opposed to Appletalk).
>
>Any ideas where I should look, or what might be causing the backgrounded
>version to timeout?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Scott

---