[Macpartners] Safari 1.2 and Personal X.509 Certificates

Marshall Vale mjv at MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 11 14:08:34 EST 2004

Hi Roger,

>I tried to install certificates in Safari 1.2 according to the directions
>(http://itinfo.mit.edu/article?id=6667) and it looked like the keychain was
>installed, but when I try to access a secured page, I get the "Safari can't
>open the page" message (because it could not establish a secure connection
>to the server "web.mit.edu" when trying to download some MIT software, e.g.
>Kerberos.)

The instructions in that article are for adding the MIT certificate
authority to the systems trusted CA list for that particular machine.

You still need to go through the process of getting a personal
certificate as one normally would. There is currently a problem at
the last step where the Safari will stall at the "Please standby..."
page but if Keychain application came forward, it should be
installed. We are working to correct this.

Marshall