[Macpartners] Audio Input Help

Christopher Bergevin dolemite at MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 11 12:47:33 EST 2004

I was referred to this by Nate at the computing help desk. was hoping
someone might have a quick fix for this (Ive looked everywhere for how to
figure out this problem and come up with nothing). it has to do with audio
input into OS X.
am running os X 10.2.8 on a powerbook. am trying to record audio in via
the line-in connection. I can plug in my audio source and under System
Preferences>Sound>Input I can see the signal level coming in, but can not
hear it. OS 9 had an additional button there where you could 'play input
through speakers', but its absent in OS X. I can run the sound editing
program I am using (audacity) and record in the signal, but I can never
hear it until after I record it and play it back. makes it very hard to
know what Im recording and if the levels are alright.
so the question boils down to this: how can I play sound through the
speakers/headphones when the signal is coming into the laptop via the
line-in connection when running OS X?
thanks for any help someone can help shed on this. I super appeciate it.
peace.

chris bergevin