[Macpartners] Powerbook DVD-R Drive makes sounds when no cd is present

Ari Gnepp agnepp at MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 4 14:51:14 EST 2004

I have a powerbook G4 1ghz Ti-book with Super Drive, and mac os x 10.3.2

Every now and then the dvd drive makes a sound like its trying to eject
a disc, but I haven't put a disc in for a long time, sometimes it has
been days since I put any disc in. I can't find any pattern to the
"false-ejects". It happens after I've had my computer on for a while
and recently after restarts, it seems quite random.

I don't have iTunes open or any other program that I know of that is
trying to access the drive.

This isn't a big deal, but I was wondering if anyone else has
experienced this, and if there is a solution.

Thanks,
Ari