[Macpartners] Safari 1.2 (support for Personal Certificates!!)

Marshall Vale mjv at MIT.EDU
Mon Feb 2 17:24:39 EST 2004

Hi Helen,

>Apple shipped Safari version 1.2 today (for OS 10.2 and 10.3), which
>has support for Personal Certificates.

Safari 1.2 only supports Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther). 10.2 (Jaguar) is
not supported.

>Available for download at http://www.apple.com/safari/download/
>(and probably via Software Update, but I was too impatient to wait).

It is indeed available via Software Update.

Apple did not provide us with much of a window to test sites with the
new Safari and we received minimal warning about its release (it was
counted in minutes). However we have found a number of issues which
we are working with them to resolve. These include:

Getting MIT CA certificate installed
- Follow the instructions at:  http://itinfo.mit.edu/article?id=6667

Getting certificates
- At the very last step, the page will stall on the "please stand
by..." text even after the cert is downloaded and installed into the
active keychain.
- A copy of the certifcate is left as a file on the desktop although
it is not needed after that

ECAT vendors that do not work (failure reported when you click the
MIT access URLs):
- Office Depot
- BOC Gasses
- GovConnection

Please report other MIT sites which have problems with Safari 1.2 and
personal certificates via Casetracker as we are collecting them and
working with Apple to resolve them.

Marshall
--
Marshall Vale    | mjv at mit.edu | Information Services & Technology