[Macpartners] IS Software Update for October 2003

Deb Bowser bowser at MIT.EDU
Thu Oct 30 11:50:03 EST 2003

Date: Thursday October 30, 2003
To:  Members of the MIT Community: itpartners at mit.edu,
macpartners at mit.edu, winpartners at mit.edu,
sw-release-announce at mit.edu, ed-tech at mit.edu
From: Software Release Team <swrt at mit.edu>
Subj: IS Software Update for October 2003
Cc:  infosys at mit.edu, itag at mit.edu, kakapo at mit.edu

Spotlight:
In light of recent problems with MIT being e-mail blacklisted,
efforts are underway to move towards requiring SMTP Authentication.
Information and instructions on configuring popular e-mail clients
for SMTP Authentication will be available at
http://web.mit.edu/is/topics/email/.  The current MIT customized
Eudora 5.2.x installers will automatically configure SMTP
Authentication.  As documentation for other clients is available, you
will be able to find it on that page.

MacOS X - Enterprise-wide application support available
------------------------------------------------------------------------ -----
The Business Process Owners announce MacOS X support for the
following enterprise-wide applications:
Adonis, BrioQuery, Coeus, Graduate Admissions, MITID, Roles, SAPgui, SumMIT

Additionally, all secure web services (CaseTracker, SAPweb, WebSIS,
etc.) are available and supported under MacOS X with Netscape 7.02.

Support for these applications under MacOS X has been gradual and as
of September 2003 is complete.

The SAPgui v 6.20 is available natively for MacOS X while Adonis,
BrioQuery, Coeus, Graduate Admissions, MITID, Roles and SAPgui w/IXOS
support is available via the MIT Citrix Service,
<http://citrix.mit.edu/>.  All applications remain available to run
in "classic" under MacOS X.

Recent Releases (Macintosh & Windows)
The team focused release efforts on products that were included on
the MIT Fall 2003 CD.  As a result, we did not release any new
products this month.  Release efforts for a number of products have
begun and plans to release are on track.

Volume Site License Distribution
IS is accepting online requests for Windows XP Professional from
students who are currently running Windows 95, 98, NT 4, or ME.  To
request a license for Windows XP Professional follow the Windows link
from  http://web.mit.edu/is/products/vsls/.

IS is accepting online requests for Mac OS X 10.3 from faculty and
staff for Institute owned machines.  To request a license follow the
Mac OS at MIT link from http://web.mit.edu/is/products/vsls/.  There
will be a delay in fulfilling orders initially while we await the
arrival of media from Apple.

Software Release Efforts Underway (Linux)
OpenAFS - Release Effort Underway - January 2004

Software Release Efforts Underway (Macintosh)
Mac OS 10.3 - 30-day evaluation underway - November 2003
MIT TechTime on Oracle Calendar 9.0.4 (OS X) - December 2003
TSM 5.1.5 (OS 9) - Release effort underway - November 2003
TSM 5.2 (OS X) - Release effort underway - November 2003

Software Release Efforts Underway (Windows)
MIT TechTime on Oracle Calendar 9.0.4 - December 2003
WinZephyr 1.1 - Release effort on hold - TBD
Office 2003 - Release effort about to begin - TBD

To view any of the product release notebooks, please visit our page:
http://web.mit.edu/swrt

Contact Us
How are we doing?  Please take a moment to let us know and provide
valuable feedback to the team:
http://web.mit.edu/swrt/feedback.html

If you prefer to send e-mail, we would appreciate any questions and
comments you may have. Please send them to the Software Release Team
at <swrt at mit.edu>.

Deb Bowser
IS Software Release Team