[Macpartners] Taking apart an ibook to replace dvd drive

John C. Welch jwelch at MIT.EDU
Fri Oct 24 09:56:10 EDT 2003

On 10/23/03 9:48 PM, "Michael Chen" <mike4506 at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> Does anyone on this mailing list have any experience in taking apart an
> ibook (dual usb 2001 model)? I am interested in replacing the dvd-rom
> drive which has an annoying issue after I dropped it on the floor a few
> months ago. The issue is that the tray door just won't stay closed. The
> tray might have came off its track. It still reads dvds and cds fine
> but I use scotch tape to keep the drive closed.
>
> I know that there are stores in Boston that can do the fix and  upgrade
> the drive to a combo drive at the same time but it's quite expensive. I
> thought I'd give it a try to replace it myself with another drive. If
> anyone has experience, any tips would be appreciated.

Yes...pay the freight. The iBook has over 40 differently sized screws that
you need to remove to get to the real innards. I have a friend that did it.
He had ten left over. So far so good. Some things are not good DIY projects,
and the iBook is at the top of that list.

john

--
Paene meracus malorum sum
(I am nearly pure evil)