[Macpartners] Taking apart an ibook to replace dvd drive

Michael Chen mike4506 at MIT.EDU
Thu Oct 23 22:48:13 EDT 2003

Hi everyone,

Does anyone on this mailing list have any experience in taking apart an
ibook (dual usb 2001 model)? I am interested in replacing the dvd-rom
drive which has an annoying issue after I dropped it on the floor a few
months ago. The issue is that the tray door just won't stay closed. The
tray might have came off its track. It still reads dvds and cds fine
but I use scotch tape to keep the drive closed.

I know that there are stores in Boston that can do the fix and  upgrade
the drive to a combo drive at the same time but it's quite expensive. I
thought I'd give it a try to replace it myself with another drive. If
anyone has experience, any tips would be appreciated.

Mike Chen