[Linerva-announce] Linerva upgrade to Debian 6.0 64-bit early Tuesday morning

Geoffrey Thomas geofft at MIT.EDU
Thu Jan 19 17:07:31 EST 2012

Beginning approximately 6 AM this Tuesday, January 24, we will be
upgrading Linerva from Debian 5.0 "lenny" 32-bit to Debian 6.0
"squeeze" 64-bit. This upgrade requires reinstalling the server, so it
will involve some brief downtime.

We have set up a test server, linerva-test.mit.edu, with the same software
and configuration as will be installed on linerva-test.mit.edu. If you are
relying on Linerva to run applications that do not work on other Athena
workstations or athena.dialup.mit.edu, notably 32-bit-only applications,
please test them on linerva-test.mit.edu in advance of the upgrade. Please
let us know at linerva at mit.edu if you have applications that no longer
run, and we can look into what 32-bit compatibility options are feasible.

linerva-test's SSH RSA fingerprint is
2a:fd:62:ff:78:14:86:bc:fc:8a:d0:94:7c:33:a0:f6

Web logins (https://linerva.mit.edu/) are currently not enabled on
linerva-test, although they will continue to be enabled on linerva after
the upgrade.

Security support for Debian 5.0 ends in early February, which necessitates
us upgrading to Debian 6.0 before then. This upgrade also brings newer
software that Linerva's users have requested, as well as improved
compatibility and parity with Athena cluster workstations. We'll send
information about the progress of the upgrade to the Twitter account
@sipb, and will send another e-mail once Linerva is available for logins
again.

As always, if you have any questions about this upgrade or about Linerva,
please feel free to contact us at linerva at mit.edu.

--
Geoffrey Thomas
SIPB Linerva team