[Linerva-announce] [linerva-announce] new maintainers; Web access and SSH port 443

Greg Price price at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 15 23:55:52 EDT 2010

Dear Linerva users,

We have two announcements we're excited to make.

** How to get to Linerva from anywhere **

This weekend, the Linerva team deployed two new mechanisms for
logging into Linerva.

 * Visit https://linerva.mit.edu/ in a Web browser.  If you think your
   favorite control characters may not work in your browser, try it --
   you're likely to be surprised.

 * SSH to port 443, for example with "ssh -p 443 linerva.mit.edu".
   (Port 8080 and the usual port, 22, remain open as well.)

Both methods are designed to be permitted by almost any firewall,
and the Web method should make access possible from almost any
computer you may find yourself standing at.

** New Linerva maintainers **

Nelson Elhage, Evan Broder, and I will be retiring from our roles as
Linerva maintainers because Nelson and I have graduated and Evan is
graduating this June.

In order to continue maintaining Linerva well into the future, we have
added Jess Hamrick (jhamrick at mit.edu), Greg Brockman (gdb at mit.edu),
and Edward Yang (ezyang at mit.edu) to the Linerva maintainer team.
After Evan graduates, Jess, Greg, and Edward will be the Linerva
maintainers.

As always, we welcome bug reports, comments, complaints, and questions
at linerva at mit.edu.  You may contact just the Linerva maintainers at
linerva-root at mit.edu.

Greg Price
for the Linerva maintainers