Windows CCAPI design sketch

Alexandra Ellwood lxs at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 30 12:24:29 EST 2008

On Jan 25, 2008, at 10:45 AM, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

> Kevin Koch wrote:
>> I've updated the Windows CCAPI design sketch, hopefully answering
>> previous
>> questions.
>> The document has moved again and is now at
>> http://k5wiki.kerberos.org/wiki/Projects/Windows_CCAPI.
>>
>> For those who are interested, the source code has been checked in to
>> .../krb5/src/ccapi/*/win.
>>
>> Comments are welcome.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Kevin:
>
> Could you please add sections describing:
> * the platforms that are being supported
> * the development tools that are being supported

Don't know anything about these Windows issues.

> * a summary of the differences in functionality between the
> currently deployed CCAPI and this one.  In particular, what are the
> known compatibility issues that application developers are going to
> have to deal with when the transition occurs.

Cross-platform changes:

CCAPI v2 is deprecated.  All CCAPI v2 functions return errors when
called.

Locking functions (cc_context_lock, cc_context_unlock, cc_ccache_lock
and cc_ccache_unlock) now work.  Locks are advisory so existing
callers should see no change in behavior if they were not using the
locking functions.  Obviously if code was using the locking functions
previously (in the previous implementation they just functioned as
NOPs) then the caller might see different behavior switching to the
new CCAPI.

Two new functions: cc_context_wait_for_change() and
cc_ccache_wait_for_change() which block until the next change to the
cache collection or ccache respectively.  These function allow
multithreaded applications to avoid polling when trying to update on
changes.  They are intended to replace the "change time" functions.

In order to allow applications to test for these new features the API
version number has been bumped to CCAPI version 7.

Any other difference in the behavior of the new and old CCAPI
implementations is a bug and should be filed in our bug tracking system.

--lxs

Alexandra Ellwood <lxs at mit.edu>
MIT Kerberos Development Team
<http://mit.edu/lxs/www>