[krbdev.mit.edu #5859] Build of windows/identity fails in clean directory

Jeffrey Altman via RT rt at krbdev.mit.edu
Wed Jan 16 15:18:17 EST 2008

Coming back to this ticket.

Kevin, would you please check the version of nmake.exe that you are
using in your old and new build environments?

I would like you to confirm that in your old environment you were using
nmake.exe (version 7.x) and that in your new environment  you are now
using the VS 2005 nmake.exe (version 8.x).  I would also like you to
confirm which Platform SDK you are using because the XP SP2 Platform SDK
which is the one we are still building with includes the version 7.x
nmake.exe.

The version 8.x nmake.exe appears to favor executables over shell
commands.  As a result, using "mkdir" instead of "md" in the Makefile as
the command for creating directory trees fails when the Cygwin mkdir.exe
is present in the PATH.

The change I would therefore recommend is to modify the

    MKDIR=mkdir
    RMDIR=rmdir

macros in the Makefiles to be

    MKDIR=md
    RMDIR=rd

as this will execute the shell version of the command in all cases.

Jeffrey Altman