KFW releases off the trunk will become harder as 1.7 features start getting used -- conclusion?

Kevin Koch kpkoch at MIT.EDU
Fri Feb 15 10:14:31 EST 2008

There isn't a branch for Windows, there is a tag ["KfW releases are tags
based on krb5 release branches"].  And the sources are all together.  So I
believe your concerns are addressed.

Now, are we ready to declare that, moving forward, KfW can depend on 1.7
features?

Thanks.

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Danny Mayer [mailto:mayer at ntp.isc.org]
Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2008 11:52 PM
To: Kevin Koch
Cc: kfwdev at mit.edu
Subject: Re: KFW releases off the trunk will become harder as 1.7 features
start getting used

Kevin Koch wrote:
> With regard to Danny's concerns, I want to clarify how KfW sources relate
to the trunk and branches.

> New features are added to the trunk.
>
> When a set of features in the trunk is mostly complete, such as before an
> alpha release, a release branch is created.  Changes to the release branch
> are then only for bug fixes.  A draft description of the process is at
> http://k5wiki.kerberos.org/wiki/Release_branches.
>
> KfW releases are tags based on krb5 release branches.  KfW 3.* releases
are tags on the krb 5-1.6 branch.  KfW 4.* releases will be tags on the 1.7
branch.

> Bug fixes are made to the trunk.  The release manager (Tom Yu) carefully
"pulls up" bug fixes from the trunk to the 1.6 (or 1.7) branch, making sure
to only include bug fixes and not new features.  So the latest and greatest
KfW code is in the trunk.

> Danny's concern about multiple source trees is one of the reasons why the
> code is managed as it is, in one tree.
>
> With this explanation and with the later messages establishing that adding
> new features to the trunk can be done mostly without conflicting with NIM
> development, are there still concerns?
>
> Kevin

My concern is that there is a need for a branch for windows. In both
BIND and NTP there is just one code release. In each case there are
parts that are specific to windows but they are a part of the integrated
whole. There may be good reasons why they have to be kept separate but I
personally am not aware of the reasons. I'm just bring it up as
something to consider.

Danny