cygwin open ssh + kfw tips sought

Jeffrey Altman jaltman at secure-endpoints.com
Fri Feb 8 13:26:41 EST 2008

Stuart Brown wrote:
> Secure CRT or putty are not the answer for me. I am trying to solve a
> problem of numerous console windows popping up when using an svn plugin
> with eclipse and secure crt vsh. Open ssh offers master control
> connections and I want to try that to see if I can knock out the
> annoying windows popping up
That would seem to me to be a bug with the way the Eclipses svn plugin
is starting the
child process.  It could start the process minimized or hidden.

In any case, to answer your question.  Cygwin binaries are not linked to
KFW libraries,
they are linked to their own port of the MIT krb5 and gssapi libraries.
The Cygwin port
does not understand how to use the API or the MSLSA credential cache
types.  They
only know how to use FILE credential caches.  As a result if you want to
share a ccache
with Cygwin processes you must use a FILE ccache.   You can configure
your identity
in NIM to use a FILE ccache of your choice instead of the API ccache.

For example, "FILE:c:\Documents and Settings\username\krb5cc.user" and then
in your Cygwin shell define KRB5CCNAME to be the same value.  The Cygwin
krb5 implementation will then find the tickets.

Note that this will only work if the Cygwin ssh does in fact have gssapi
support.

Jeffrey Altman
Secure Endpoints Inc.