Proposal to use Windows Side-by-side Assemblies for KFW distribution

Jeffrey Altman jaltman at secure-endpoints.com
Wed Aug 13 11:23:58 EDT 2008

RJ Silk wrote:
> Just to make sure I understand the specifications, you recommend
> packaging both the core library assembly and the cache assembly in the
> same merge module. So therefore we should have 4 different versions of
> this merge module: x86 Debug, x86 Retail, x64 Debug and x64 Retail,
> correct? Following that logic, if we then create separate merge
> modules for both the command line tools and integrate logon, our build
> system should produce about 16 assemblies over 12 merge modules. Is
> this correct, or would some assemblies not require debug versions?
Robert:

You will need debug versions of every assembly and merge module because
for use when a debug version of the build is produced.  So there will be
X86 and X64 versions each of Retail and Debug and in theory there could
be Itanium if anyone cares.

As for whether or not the cache assembly is in the same merge module as
the libraries is an open question.  There are trade offs with either
decision.  We put them together in the proposal because we were
demonstrating how to build the assemblies and merge modules.

There are a number of other open issues in the proposal related to
modifying the gss and krb5 libraries to prevent crashes when multiple
versions end up loaded within the same process which is a likely
scenario when side-by-side assemblies are used.   Before assemblies can
be deployed answers to the open issues must be resolved.

Jeffrey Altman