Proposal to use Windows Side-by-side Assemblies for KFW distribution

RJ Silk rsilk at MIT.EDU
Tue Aug 12 09:50:12 EDT 2008

Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> RJ Silk wrote:
>> Jeff,
>>
>> Thank you for the clarification. I've modified my prototype and am
>> now able to execute the server from within the SxS assembly. I've
>> noticed while testing on Vista machine that it appears to load in
>> such a way that the process isn't visible in the task manager or
>> command line utilities. Do you happen to know if a SxS executable is
>> given special security elevation over traditional processes in Vista?
>> If so, could this have any security implications for KfW?
>>
>> Thank you!
>> -Robert
> Try examining the process with Process Explorer (SysInternals) and
> make sure that you are running it elevated.

Thank you for the pointer. In the end, my server issue on vista turned
out to be a problem with my application manifests. Things appear to be
working now.

Just to make sure I understand the specifications, you recommend
packaging both the core library assembly and the cache assembly in the
same merge module. So therefore we should have 4 different versions of
this merge module: x86 Debug, x86 Retail, x64 Debug and x64 Retail,
correct? Following that logic, if we then create separate merge modules
for both the command line tools and integrate logon, our build system
should produce about 16 assemblies over 12 merge modules. Is this
correct, or would some assemblies not require debug versions?

Thank you ,
Robert