The very first NIM password prompt -- customer feedback needed.

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen at acm.org
Tue Sep 25 16:23:24 EDT 2007

The Stanford view is generally true at UIUC as well.  Although not that
many departments are using KfW.  I generally suspect that most larger
universities have some type of authn|z system setup where the usernames
match the Kerberos principals.

Of course, a few departments refuse to use the centralized directory and
do their own thing.  But that usually means that they have their own
authn as well (and therefore I do not care about them as they get what
they deserve for their deviations.)

UIUC has what is branded as a "netid password" which a UIUC.EDU Kerberos
password.  There is also your "Active Directory" password which is the
AD.UIUC.EDU realm.  Ironically, the UIUC.EDU password is now being
actively refered to as an "MIT password" since it is in MIT Kerberos.
Of course, that term is only used by those who deal with the realm
directly and not by end-users.  If you care, you can read more at:
http://www.cites.uiuc.edu/passwords/changes.html  (There are at least 5
different authentication systems in wide use throughout campus, and that
doesn't even count departmental level ones.)

I would prefer to not modify the current NIM prompts and assume that the
Windows username matches the Kerberos principal name in the default
realm.

<<CDC