The very first NIM password prompt -- customer feedback needed.

Paul B. Hill pbh at MIT.EDU
Fri Sep 21 09:18:34 EDT 2007

Hi,

I don't know what the current practice is, but for a number of years
IS&T (or the former IS) had been recommending to departments that when
they created local solutions they use the same namespace with respect to
the usernames. The reason for making that recommendation was that when
departments later started to integrate their local solutions with the
larger infrastructure they would not have name conflicts and users would
not have to think about what username to enter in different contexts.

All of that is a long way of saying, in many cases the local username is
likely to be correct when mapped to the Athena realm.

Of course there will be cases where this is not true. But I question
assumptions that this will be the majority of the time.

Paul