How to get RPC notification when a client terminates?

Jeffrey Altman jaltman at secure-endpoints.com
Thu Nov 15 10:24:04 EST 2007

Kevin Koch wrote:
> Thanks for that suggestion.  I don't believe the local RPC mechanism uses
> TCP or UDP so are I/O completion ports applicable?
I'm sorry I haven't had time to provide a detailed response to your
question.  The choice of which RPC mechanism is used is up to you.
Either TCP or Named Pipes can be used instead of local rpc if you want
to establish a connection between the two processes that can provide for
endpoint connectivity detection.
Both of these methods are frowned upon because they require the
allocation of additional kernel resources.

Another approach that is much lower cost would be to use the client to
server connection to communicate the name of a global object that is
allocated by the client.  The client can lock the object and the server
can add the object to a list of objects it waits on (or tests at the
beginning of each incoming request.)  If the client dies, the server
will be able to lock the object or will detect that the object is no
longer present.  This approach takes advantage of the shared resources
of the local system and does not require the use of heavy weight RPC
mechanisms.

Jeffrey Altman