How to get RPC notification when a client terminates?

Kevin Koch kpkoch at MIT.EDU
Thu Nov 15 09:46:12 EST 2007

Thanks for that suggestion.  I don't believe the local RPC mechanism uses
TCP or UDP so are I/O completion ports applicable?

WRT resource usage:

An open connection is required between the CCAPI server and each client no
matter what type of solution.

To reduce server thread usage to one, I'm looking into asynchronous RPC
calls from the CCAPI server to the clients.  RPC notifications can be used
to tell the CCAPI server about completion/cancellation.

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Danny Mayer [mailto:mayer at ntp.isc.org]
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:08 AM
To: Kevin Koch
Cc: kfwdev at mit.edu
Subject: Re: How to get RPC notification when a client terminates?

Kevin Koch wrote:
> Windows experts:  how can my RPC server learn that a client has gone away?
> The server needs to know because it may have state that needs to be
cleaned up.

For Windows, if you are using I/O Completion Ports the
GetQueuedCompletionStatus() call in the worker thread will complete if
the remote system closes the connection. Exact details may differ
between UDP and TCP but it will cause the worker thread to continue and
you then you need to examine the various statuses for details.

Danny