NIM dialogs pop under instead of on top?

Jeffrey Altman jaltman at secure-endpoints.com
Wed Jun 13 12:05:28 EDT 2007

Kevin Koch wrote:
> We have a KfW 3.2 testing report that when a kerberized Windows application
> needs credentials, that the NIM dialog is displayed at the bottom, rather
> than the top, of the stack of Windows.  This creates the impression that the
> Windows application has hung.
>

> Does anybody else see this?
>

> Thanks.
>

> Kevin

Please confirm that the application having the problem is calling gssapi
from the Windows Message thread.    Doing so blocks the Windows Message
processing for the application which means that it can't respond to the
message indicating that it will give up focus to the NIM dialog.

You can open a bug report for this if you wish.  Asanka and I already
have a patch if the problem application is in fact violating the Windows
guidelines by calling a function that can block from the Windows Message
thread.

Jeffrey Altman