Change NIM startup behavior?

Jeffrey Altman jaltman at secure-endpoints.com
Tue Jul 3 10:34:19 EDT 2007

Kevin:

As far as Asanka and I are aware, the patches I committed address the
issue.  At least the patches address the issue with the applications
that we have experienced the problem with at other institutions.  In
particular, Oracle Calendar.

The problem is really not with NIM but with the application that is
calling the GSS-API from within their own Message Queue thread.  We are
considering replacing the use of Window Messages for communication
between the GSS-API library and NIM with another technique.  As part of
adding support for Google Desktop's Gadgets and Vista's Widgets we need
to add support for COM.  Therefore, we can support Windows automation.
Doing so provides an alternative method of communicating with NIM that
does not require the use of Window Messages and won't be susceptible to
the blocking of the Message Queue by the application *unless* they load
the GSS-API library on demand from within the Message Queue.  If that is
the case, there really won't be anything we can do.  There are limits to
what can be done to work around bugs in applications that violate the
Windows programming model.

It is true that if NIM displays a window at the top z-level, the next
time a window of the same class is displayed by NIM it will be given the
same z-level it had before.  This is why prompting for credentials at
NIM startup can be viewed as a work around.  If MIT wants the default
behavior of KFW 3.2 to be "prompt for credentials at startup",  MIT can
add the appropriate registry values to MIT's KFW transform to do that.
There are no code changes required to make this happen.

Using the "-a" command line option is not the way to make this happen.
The correct way to do this would be to set the Registry Value that is
defined for this purpose.  Please see the KFW 3.2 Release Notes.

Jeffrey Altman
Secure Endpoints Inc.