Change NIM startup behavior?

Kevin Koch kpkoch at MIT.EDU
Mon Jul 2 17:37:40 EDT 2007

There have been reports of the NIM password prompt dialog appearing
underneath the kerberized application window.

The password prompt dialog appears underneath rather than on top of the app
window the first time the prompt dialog is displayed after a reboot.  After
that, my observation is that the prompt dialog appears on top.  Can someone
else confirm this?

This behavior is unchanged when KfW 3.2.0 is built with the updated
newcredwnd.*.

When I tested run the same test with KfW 2.6.5 on the same XP machine,
freshly rebooted:

    On login, KfW 2.6.5 prompts for a password.  KfW 3.2.* does not.  I
cancel out of it.

    When the 1st kerberized app is run, the password prompt dialog displays
on top of the app window.

Setting
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\NetIDMgr to
"netidmgr -a" and rebooting, NetIdMgr prompts for a password at login time,
like KfW 2.6.5.  I cancel out of the password prompt.  Then when kerberized
apps need a password, the password prompt dialog appears on top.

So the KfW 2.6.5 behavior causes a spurious NetIdMgr/password prompt at
login time but corrects the 'pop-under' problem.

I think the NetIdMgr display at login time is less evil than the pop-under
behavior and should be the behavior of MIT Kerberos 3.2.0.

What do you think?

Kevin